What is mobilEcho?
mobilEcho is an app available for iOS and Android which allows you to connect to your home directory (H drive) from mobile devices such as phones and tablets.
How can I get mobileEcho?
mobilEcho is available for free through both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.
How do I set it up once I’ve installed the app?
Please find our handy guides for setting up mobilEcho using the following links:
Follow these steps to configure mobilEcho on your iOS device:
When you open the app you will be asked to enroll. Click “Enroll Now”.
Then enter the server address:
Then click “Continue”, enter your username and password, and click “Enroll Now”.
You will then receive a message saying “You are now enrolled with mobilEcho client management”, click OK and your Home directory will appear in the left hand column of the screen. When you click on your Home directory you will be asked to “Enter server password” (This is the same as your college password).
Your home directory contents will then be displayed in the right hand column.
It’s now very simple and easy to configure your Apple mobile device for the Imperial wireless, Mail and Calendars in a few quick steps.
Simple select the ‘Imperial’ wireless network (not Imperial WPA) and then, on the login page, scroll to the bottom and click the link for iPhones and iPads.
Clicking on this link will take the user to the profile setup page.
Here you can use the sliders to choose to install the College Wireless Network (Imperial-WPA), the College Email and Calendar services and the College VPN service for secure remote access to the College network.
After entering a valid College username and password the device will be offered an profile for download. Simply tap Install
If VPN setup has been chosen then you will be asked to enter your password again. Other than this there should be only a couple of seconds before the device confirms that the profile has been installed.
And that’s it!
If you have a college mobile device which you are planning to take abroad, please be aware of the following:
- All college mobile devices have international roaming switched off by default. You can request that this be switched on via your departmental telecoms representative.
- As part of the EU Data Roaming legislation all College mobiles have their overseas data usage capped at 50MB or £33.34 on a monthly basis. O2 have extended this beyond EU countries and it applies to all overseas data irrespective of the country it is used in.
- Heavy data users can request to be moved onto the higher rate cap which increases their limit to 200MB per month for a maximum charge of £100.
- For users that travel abroad on a very regular basis then a BlackBerry represents better value for money as you will be charged per day (or per month) rather than per megabyte, for more details and prices for Blackberry overseas usage please see the telecoms website.
For more information on international voice and data rates please visit the telecoms webpage.
Due to the variation in signal strength and distance between routers/base stations, it is difficult to provide a consistent value for the accuracy of the device position. Tests indicate that location information may be up to 30 metres out on campus.
The status lights next to a friend’s name in the ‘View my Friends’ list indicate how recent their location data is:
- Green – their location was updated within the hour.
- Amber – their location was updated within the day.
- Red – they are not sharing their location information.
Your friends must first share their location information, then search for and add you as a friend.
- Go to ‘My Sharing Options’ in the Friend Finder menu.
- Set ‘Share my location with’ to ‘Friends’ or ‘All’.
- Go to ‘Invite Friends’ in the Friend Finder menu.
- Search for a friend and tap the + symbol to add them to your list.
Please note: If your friend has not chosen to share their location information, they will not appear in the list.
No. The Friend Finder works by mutual consent. You must both choose to share your location information with each other.
- If you have not chosen to share your location information, you will not be visible to your friend.
- If your friend has not chosen to share their location information, they will not be visible to you.
We’d love to have your feedback about Imperial Mobile – email your thoughts and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like Imperial Mobile, don’t forget to rate it in the App Store.
Got an idea for another Imperial app? Email email@example.com