The current PWP template will be updated to reflect the advances in web technology and design with the main objectives being to review the functionality, freshen up the visual design, update the technology, and include all grades of academic staff and post graduate students. A consultation exercise was undertaken and the Consultation Report [pdf] results determined some of the principles for the new PWP.
The following key principles were developed by the review team:
- Automated creation of PWPs for all staff and PhD students – with individuals opting to make their PWP live
- Automatically decide whether information is shown – if content is available in source systems, it will be displayed on the new PWPs. Where content is not available, the PWP page will not display.
- Data is sourced where possible from existing systems, e.g. Symplectic, DSS, College Directory
- Consistent design across all PWPs
- Mobile friendly – PWPs to be render well on all devices
New PWP Design
The wireframe designs [PPT] for the new PWP have been created to incorporate the new features and functionality suggested in the consultation exercise. Some of the new features include:
- Automatic News and Events stream for articles and events relevant to the profiled individual
- Ability to insert a social media feed for Youtube, Twitter, Blog, Flickr where available
- Ability to include media mentions
- Feed of video/audio content from iMedia system where available
- CV upload functionality
- Separate biography tab
- Sub tabs within Research section to allow creation of sub sections detailing research activity
The Next Step
The next step is to implement the new PWP is the technical build and its intergration to other systems.
For more detail on the new PWP please visit the PWP Review under the Web Guides Projects Page