PWPs consist of a home page and five sub-pages (Honours & Awards, Research, Publications, Commercial Activity, Teaching).
Information can be added to your PWP in three ways:
- From the College Directory
- Via the Symplectic Elements database (where you see this link “Manage data in Symplectic”)
- Entered directly into by the PWP via the content editor. (where you see this link “Edit Content”)
The table below shows where the different areas of your PWP need to be maintained:
|PWP tab||Data item||Maintained within|
|Home||Contact details||College Directory|
|Honours and Awards||Awards
Membership of professional bodies
Links with other academic bodies
|Honours and Awards||Other significant activities
Research student supervision
Funding and Experimental Facilities
|Commercial Activity||Industrial connections
|Commercial Activity||Commercial Activity
|Teaching||Courses/modules (UG, PG, short)
Academic training programme
- To edit your Contact details, go to the College Directory, click on ‘Update your entry in the directory’ and follow instructions given.
- Instructions on how to edit the information maintained via Symplectic can be found here: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/symplectic/userguide.
- The instructions below set out how to update the information that is maintained within your PWP.
Editing your PWPs
STEP 1 – Logging in
In order to edit your pages, you must log into the CMS using your normal College login and password.
- Go to the home page of your PWP – the address will be http://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/xxxxx, where xxxxx is your email address including the full stop e.g. theresa.nichols or m.brady.
- Click the Login link at the bottom of your PWP home page and log in using your normal College login and password.
STEP 2 – Edit professional name (Heading of your website)
- Click on the Edit professional name (Heading of your website) link at the top of your home page to change your professional name as it appears in the banner.
- Make your changes and click save.
- If your changes don’t appear immediately, try clearing the web cache (ctrl + F5).
STEP 3 – Add a picture to your home page
- Have an appropriate picture available on your computer, which has been resized to 214 pixels wide. If your photograph is stored in the College’s image library, there is a download option specifically for PWPs. If you need assistance resizing your image, please contact your Faculty Web Officer.
- On the Home page, click on the left Edit Content link just above your Contact Details to bring up the CMS editor.
- Click below the icon bar to position the cursor, then click the Image icon (circled below) on the toolbar.
- The media file selection menu will open.
- Click the Browse button and find the photo on your computer. Once you have selected your file, click Upload and the file will be loaded in the Image Crop Tool.
- In the Image Crop window select PWP Image from the Image Type dropdown and select Create Image.
STEP 4 – Editing free text areas in your PWP
- Free text areas are accessed via the Edit Content links you see on the various pages in your PWP. Click on these to bring up the CMS editor.
- The editor looks and works in a similar way to Word.
- Type or paste text into the editor. IMPORTANT – Do not paste text directly from MS Word into the editor as this carries across unwanted html tags that interfere with the editor’s html. Either use the paste text icon in the editor or paste via Notepad.
- If you want to add a heading, select the text you’d like to the be the heading and click on the drop down arrow next to Normal to change it from normal to Heading 2 or Heading 3 in the icon bar.
- You can apply some simple formatting to text such as bold and italic using the buttons on the tool bar. Underline is not available as it can be confused with a hyperlink.
- In addition you can generate a bulleted or numbered list, indent text and also set the alignment options using the relevant buttons.
- When you are finished editing, click Submit at the bottom of the editor.
STEP 5 – Setting display controls
Display controls determine which of your PWP sub pages are visible. You may wish to hide one or more of these if they have no information. Your home page will always be visible. If you elect to hide a page it will not be visible internally or externally.
- Click the Display Controls link. You will see the Display Control page selector as shown below.
- Tick the boxes for each page you wish to display
- Untick the boxes for any page you wish to hide
- Click submit
- If your changes don’t show straight away, trying clearing the cache (Ctrl +F5)
If you have any further questions regarding editing your PWP, please contact your Faculty Web Officer.