Due to a change last week, some users may find that their usual content settings in the right-hand column of their My Imperial Home page has changed (i.e. Weather, TFL Service Update, etc do not appear).
To rectify this:
- Click on the ‘Personalise’ link at the top right of the My Imperial website. This will show the ‘Personalise’ links for all the columns.
- Click on the ‘Personalise’ link in the right-hand column which is just below the ‘NSS barometer’. A pop-up window will appear called ‘Personalise Portlets’.
- Click on the ‘OK’ button in the ‘Personalise Portlets’ window.
This should change this column content back to your original settings. However if you have any issues with this please contact the ICT Service Desk, Marion Brady or Stuart Croghan.
We value and need your feedback and suggestions so please use our feedback form to let us know what you think. You can also use this form to log a problem or suggest an enchancement.
The following new features have been released for ‘My Imperial’:
1. Outlook Web Access (Outlook tab) – view all your email, calendar and tasks without having to sign on.
2. Met Office Weather (Home tab)
3. TFL Journey Planner (Home tab)
4. Student e-Service (My Admin tab) – no need to sign on to enter this website.
We hope you find the new features useful.
What is Single Sign On?
Single Sign On will allow you to open other applications within ’My Imperial’ by logging in only once. It will give you the ease of accessing all favourite applications with only a click of the button!
How does this work?
The first time you use ‘My Imperial’ to link to other applications you may be asked to login. If so, enter your username and password for this application and it will open normally. The next time you click on the link or the icon it will automatically log you in.
When a password has changed on an application
You will be asked to enter in your username and password. Once you have logged in again with your new username and password then it will not be necessary to enter it again unless your password changes or expires.
Is Single Sign On secure?
The whole login process has been approved by the College’s ICT Security team and your details are protected.
Personalisation provides individual users with the flexibility to make content changes on their ‘My Imperial’ webpage.
How to Personalise
This functionality will allow you to view content that you find relevant. By clicking on the button in the top right hand corner, you can access the ‘ Personalise’ links, through which you can change the default settings / content initially set up for you. The content includes which pages to see, which portlets within a page to see, and for some portlets, what content to see. New content will be added to the ‘My Imperial’ webpage, and you can enable its viewing through the personalise links.
Over time the default settings for student, staff etc will change as new content is added. You can revert back to the default settings by restoring defaults and this can be done for:
- a particular portlet (i.e. favourites on the home page)
- region (i.e. the right column on the home page)
- and the whole website
Note on restoring defaults – This will reset your pages and their content to the default settings. You will lose any additional ‘Favourites’ links and ‘News & Announcements’ or ‘Events’ feeds that you may have set-up yourself. Links to do this are on the appropriate areas of the website.
‘My Imperial’ News and Events feeds
What are News and Events Feeds?
On the ‘My Imperial’ home page there are sections for News and Events. When you come across a relevant event or news RSS feed, either within College, or outside e.g. on the BBC site, you can add it to these sections to receive the updated event and news information.
You can identify RSS or Atom feeds by these icons or . Often, the icon itself takes you to the XML version of the news or event feed, but sometimes the icon indicates that the adjacent link goes to the feed.
Adding News and Events Feeds to your ‘My Imperial’ page
- Capture the address of the feed by following the icon or link to the XML feed page then copying the URL.
- Click on the ‘Add a feed’ link in the Events or News box as appropriate.
- Paste the URL into the ‘URL address’ field.
- Type a descriptive title in the ‘Title of feed’ field.
- Enter the number of articles you wish to show .
- Click OK to save the changes.
See the responses below to some general questions about ‘My Imperial’. Please use the menu on the right for detailed instructions or information about more specific topics within ‘My Imperial’.
What is ‘My Imperial?
‘My Imperial’ is a ”portal” (mini-website) that you can personalise to give you quick access to useful applications and websites which you frequently use during your life at Imperial. These can be within the College or external.
Who is ‘My Imperial’ for?
The first phase of ‘My Imperial’ is aimed for students, so the default links and content are particularly relevant to students e.g. Outlook, Blackboard, Student e-Service, Library etc. Over time the site ‘My Imperial’ will be available to all and new content will arrive for other types of users such as staff and researchers.
How do I get to ‘My Imperial’?
There are four different ways to access ‘My Imperial’
- Log in at the bottom of any Imperial webpage
- Links on Imperial web pages for example, Student Union, Student Resources, Student Hub, Library, Registry, Live! etc
- Click on the ‘My Imperial’ icon located on the desktop of any College computer lab PC
Does ‘My Imperial’ work with all web browsers?
‘My Imperial’ works on most browsers including Internet Explorer and Firefox. There are still a few issues when signing onto applications if you are using Safari on a Mac. We are working to resolve these.
Why do I have to login into the application links?
Please refer to the ‘My Imperial’ Detailed Help - Single Sign On link.
Is ‘My Imperial’ going to change from how it works initially?
‘My Imperial’ will frequently change as new features come online and as we respond to your suggestions or comments. The ‘My Imperial’ News and Announcements feed will keep you up to date on these changes.
How do I provide feedback about ‘My Imperial’?
We value and need your feedback and suggestions so please use our feedback form to let us know of any feedback or to log a problem or suggestion for improvements.
Known Issues / Enhancements?
A list of issues we know about and are planning to resolve.